PUFF PUFF RECIPE
we are going to learn 2 methods of making puff puff
PUFF PUFF RECIPE 1.
Ingredients( For about 20 balls of Puff Puff)
200g( 1 ½ mugs) plain flour( all- purpose flour)
2 ladles yeast( instant or quick action) powdered
½ tablespoon ground nutmeg
¼ mug granulated sugar( or to your taste)
1 habanero pepper or fresh red pepper( optional)
3 pinches of salt
1 mug of warm water
Vegetable Oil( for frying) Instructions
Sift the flour into a clean dry bowl, and add the nutmeg, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
Add warm water and mix till everything is well combined.
Cover the bowl with aluminum foil or plastic film and place it in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes or till doubles in size.
Cut the habanero pepper into bitsy pieces and add the batter. Stir very well.
Pour some oil into a deep pot and allow to heat up. The oil should be at least 3 inches deep. This is to give room for the puff puffs to swim in the oil. It’s not judicious to use a deep fryer for Puff Puff because of the netting but if you want to use it, set the temperature to 170 °C.
Test that the oil is hot enough by putting a drop of batter into theoil.However, also the oil is hot enough, If it sizzles and comes up to the surface of theoil.However, the batter will go down to the bottom of the oil and stay there, If the oil isn’t hot enough.
When the oil is hot enough, scoop some batter into the oil with an ice cream scoop or with your hand
Put in more scoops of the batter, as much as the space in the frying pot will allow without overcrowding. Reduce the heat to medium.
Once the underside of the puff puff has turned golden brown, flip the ball so that the topside will be fried as well.
- Mix the yeast in warm water and allow it to sit for a while before mixing the batter. This will help dissolve pebbles and allow the yeast to rise on it’s own first.
- Allow the dough to sit for a minimum of 45 minutes before you start frying. There is no rush in life especially with making pastry.
- Use standard measures. utmost people ignore this and this leads to their Puff- Puff being too watery or too thick.
- After mixing the batter, cover it and keep it in a warm place to allow the dough to rise briskly and more.
- Always fry your Puff- Puff with a deeppan.However, Allow the oil in the pan to cover at least 3 inches in the pot, If you do not have this.
6. Incipiently, fry with the right quantum of heat.
PUFF PUFF METHOD 2
Sugar 1/ 4cup
Salt 1/ 2tsp
Warm water 1 & 1/ 4cup
Grated onion and pepper( optional) or dry pepper
To test the yeast
Yeast sugar 1/ 4cup of water, mix and set away for 5 to 10minutes
The yeast should rise and be creamy foam on the surface
Mix all other dry ingredients
Add the yeast mixture to the flour mix. also add water and mix completely
The batter should not be too thick or too thin. Too thick will give a hard puff puff while too thin will give a flat puff puff
Add pepper and onions. Mix into a smooth batter
Cover batter with foil paper or any plastic wrap. also with a hankie
Note Use a bowl that can accommodate the volume of the batter when it rises for mixing
Open after 30 to 45 minutes. Size doubles and bubbles are present on the surface
Fill pot or pan with enough oil to deep fry. Heat till it’s hot
Scoop your batter with a small ice cream scoop/ clean hand/ batter dispenser into the oil.
Fry on medium heat. Not too hot high and not too low